We all know the importance of a professional portrait shoot when it comes to producing a good image for you to use in business or your personal life. The digital age has made us all highly visible and our image often proceeds us.
To achieve great portraits during your session, there needs to be a collaboration between myself as the photographer and you the subject, which requires good direction from me and trust between us. But how do we capture the best version of you during your shoot? The key is preparation…
On the day of a photoshoot, I talk my subject though suggestions but I ask the client to bring their own ideas too. Knowing what you want as the end product; the message you wish to project for your business is important.
So, to put make it that bit easier, here are some recommendations for preparing yourself for a professional portrait shoot:
- Choose clothes that flatter and fit your body type.
- Solid, soft and muted colours usually photograph best and avoid logos, bold patterns, neon and wrinkled clothes.
- Make sure all clothes are clean and pressed.
- Bring 2 different outfits.
- Stylish shoes or boots.
- Simple accessories.
- Glare free glasses.
- A clean shaven look (men).
- Have a hair cut a week or so before the session (men).
- Have hair styled before the session (women).
- If you colour your hair, do this at least a few days in advance – particularly important if you get dark roots.
- Have natural make-up which is slightly heavier than usual.
- If you aren’t confident about creating your own striking look then you may want to consider the option of booking a hair and make-up artist.
- Have your nails manicured.
I hope you will agree that the photographs below reflect the value of good preparation:
Not happy with the image you are projecting? Then you need a new portrait. To discuss a new image of yourself, please contact the West London Studio on 07958 511 819 or email email@example.com for further information.
Serena Bolton Photography offers the discerning client the finest personalised and genuinely bespoke service. Your image is unique and your photography should be too.
“Photography through the lens of a storyteller”
LONDON PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHER