I have learned a LOT about how to create a personal brand over the last few years. Not only have I been doing it for myself, but I have also been watching and helping others do this for themselves. Building a personal brand involves creating a unique identity and reputation that sets you apart from others in your field. It’s important to do this in order to attract the right clients. And to build trust. People want authenticity and trust in their business dealings. And you will be able to build this trust and communicate authentically when you take the time to create a personal brand that reflects the real you.
But how to go about this? A lot of people get stuck and do not know where to start. So start by finding that place where your business meets your personality. Which means that you will really need to understand yourself and your core values and see where they overlap with the business/product/service that you are offering to your clients.
- Firstly you will need to define your core values. There are a number of online resources to help you do a values elicitation exercise. Once you have clarity on these you will ensure that you are heading in the right direction. And that your business and its goals are synergistic with those core values.
- What are your strengths? What makes you different from the competition?
- Determine what you want to achieve. Set some achievable goals. And, while you’re at it, add some some pie-in-the-sky ones too. And check in to determine if your plans are in line with your core values. You don’t want to steer away from these or you will not be staying authentic.
- Identify your target market/s. Your dream client, potential companies to collaborate with, a future employer. You may have more than one. Once you know who you are trying to connect with, it will be easier to sort out your messaging.
- Plan your messaging. You need a clear communication strategy for each target market. Make sure that your messaging is consistent wtih the core values and beliefs that you identified in Step 1. And make sure that the voice is yours. If it isn’t, it won’t be authentic.
- Get some great personal branding photos taken! *
- It’s time to build your digital presence. Firstly, build a website. It’s pretty easy these days to use some online software to help with this but it may be worth hiring a professional website designer as well. Don’t forget to blog regularly to establish an authoritative and salient voice in your industry. And learn about and implement good SEO techniques. Finally you need to choose your social media platforms (to match your desired targets) and work to establish yourself on those. Aim for engagement with your audience and do not forget to use your authentic voice.
- Double check that the look and feel of your brand is consistent across all channels
- Keep developing your content and establish yourself in your industry not only as an expert but as a mentor and fair competitor to other people in your industry.
It’s not easy to establish a personal brand. It takes time, consistency and commitment. But it can be done and you, your company/your career will benefit.
* When you need help with this, give me a call!
And if you are ready to work with a personal branding photographer, I would love to help!
For more information or to make a booking for Personal Branding Photography London, or for other professional photography services in London, please contact us at our West London Studio on firstname.lastname@example.org or on +44 (0)7415 792499. Or click here to fill out a contact form.
“Photography through the lens of a storyteller”
LONDON PERSONAL BRANDING PHOTOGRAPHER